My name is Abbie, and I’m the only 23-yr old woman I know who does not have pierced ears.
Let me lay out the conversation we would probably have:
You: Never? Really? (you lean in closer to get a better look at my lobes)
You: Well, why not? It just pinches for a second, it doesn’t really hurt at all.
Me: I don’t care.
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with getting your ears pierced (if you’re old enough, but more on that later). I just don’t know that it’s for me. Plenty of my lady family members and friends have tried reasoning with me about it, one even tried to bribe me by offering to buy me a pair of nice earrings. There are a number of reasons why I don’t have my ears pierced, and I usually have to go through most of them before I get my point across:
- I hate needles. Terrified of them. The thought of anything sharp being anywhere near any particularly soft or fleshy part of my skin is quite unnerving for me.
- My mom told my sister and me that we’d have to wait until we were 10 or something to get our ears pierced, when we’d be responsible enough to take care of them on our own. When Carmen turned 10 (I was 12), she wanted to get hers pierced, so we went to the Piercing Pagoda in the mall, where they proceeded to get the gun stuck on her ear for longer than a minute. No, thank you.
- During my brief stint in softball, my coach told us we weren’t allowed to wear any type of earrings during practice or games. This was because a girl a few years older than us had been wearing stud earrings during a game, got hit in the ear with the ball while she was playing first base, and the stud punctured her skin behind her ear. The coach told us that each time her heart beat, blood squirted out. Gross; no, thank you.
- I’m afraid of getting a hoop earring getting snagged on something and having it ripped out of my lobe.
- I don’t like seeing the little hole there when you’re not wearing earrings, and sometimes those don’t grow over very well.
- They seem like a hassle. I prefer to stay low maintenance with my look, since I’m usually trying to rush out the door to get somewhere in the morning, or want to just crawl in bed when I get home from class at after 11pm.