Sometimes, you just want something different for dinner. It doesn’t have to be way outside the box, but sometimes you just need to use a little creativity. Hence this recipe, which is a different take on one of my favorite sandwiches that I like to order at a local cafe. The sandwich that I love to order is a Chicken Pesto Panini which has strips of grilled chicken, roasted red peppers, and provolone cheese on grilled white panini bread.
While I have made my own version of the panini before, I wanted to see try an equally good but less time consuming version that I could easily make for a weeknight meal. And that is what this recipe is: Easy and Fast. It only requires a few ingredients and one pan.
Chicken Pesto Burgers
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 3 tablespoons of Pesto
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Mozzarella or Provolone Cheese
- 1 grill pan (or a skillet)
- Medium size bowl
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Wooden spoon (for mixing)
- Meat thermometer
1. In your medium size bowl, combine the ground chicken, pesto, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper. Use the wooden spoon to mix all the ingredients together.
2. To make sure all the ingredients are thoroughly mix, use your hands to completely combine everything together.
3. Spray your grill pan (or skillet) with non-stick cooking spray and heat the pan on medium heat.
4. One pound of ground chicken will yield 4 quarter pound burgers. Divide the meat into four and form 4 burgers. Place them in the grill pan.
5. Cook the burgers on each side for approximately 5 minutes.
6. Cooking chicken burgers can be a little tricky — you want to make sure they are cooked through, but you don’t want to overcook them. Be aware that chicken burgers dry out faster than ground beef. To be safe, check the burgers with a meat thermometer. Each burger should have an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Remove the burgers from the pan, serve on buns or on bread of your choice with either Mozzarella or Provolone Cheese.